- Ph.D. 1990, Agricultural/Food Engineering, Michigan State University
- M.S., Agricultural/Food Engineering, Michigan State University
- B.S., Food Engineering, Campinas State University
Food Engineering, Food Processing, Principles of Food Packaging, Food Rheology, Advanced Food Engineering, Advanced Food Processing.
2005 - Present
- Professor, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Texas A&M University
2000 - 2005
- Associate Professor, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Texas A&M University
1996 - 2000
- Assistant Professor, Department of Agricultural Engineering, Texas A&M University
1991 - 1996
- Assistant Professor of Food Engineering, Department of Food Science and Animal Industries, Alabama A&M University
- Puerta-Gomez*, A.F. and Castell-Perez, M.E. 2015. Physical stability of octenyl-succinate-modified polysaccharides and whey proteins for potential use as bioactive carriers in food systems. Journal of Food Science 80 (6), E1209-E1217.
- Ruengvisesh, S., Loquercio, A. , Castell-Perez, E., Taylor, M.T. 2015. Inhibition of Bacterial Pathogens in Medium and on Spinach Leaf Surfaces using Plant-Derived Antimicrobials Loaded in Surfactant Micelles. Journal of Food Science. Food Microbiology and Safety Section. Accepted for publication October 7, 2015. DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.13085
- Loquercio, A*., Castell-Perez, M. E., Gomes, C. and Moreira, R.G.. 2015. Preparation of Chitosan-Alginate Nanoparticles for Trans-cinnamaldehyde Entrapment. Journal of Food Science. Nanoscale Food Science Section, 80(10), N2305-N2315.
- Kim*, K., Moreira, R.G., Castell-Perez, M.E. 2015. Improving phytosanitary irradiation treatment of mangoes using Monte Carlo simulation. Journal of Food Engineering, 149, 137-143. Accepted for publication October 5, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2014.10.005
- Omac, B.*, Moreira, R.G., Castillo, A. and Castell-Perez, M.E. 2014. Growth of Listeria monocytogenes and Listeria innocua on fresh baby spinach leaves: effects of storage temperature and natural microflora. Postharvest Technology, 100, 41-51. Accepted September 2014. doi:10.1016/j.postharvbio.2014.09.007
- Martinon**, M., Moreira, R.G., Gomes, C., Castell-Perez, M.E. 2014. Development of a multilayered antimicrobial edible coating for shelf-life extension of fresh-cut cantaloupe (Cucumis melo L.) stored at 4ºC. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 56(2), 341-350. Accepted December 1, 2013.
- Karagoz*, I., Moreira, R.G., Castell-Perez, M.E. 2014. Radiation D10 values for Salmonella Typhimurium LT2 and an Escherichia coli cocktail in pecan nuts (Kanza cultivar) exposed to different atmospheres. Food Control 39, 146-153. Published online December 2013. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.10.041 .
- Sevimli Yurttas**, Z., Moreira, R.G. and Castell-Perez, M.E. 2013. Combined Vacuum Impregnation and Electron-Beam Irradiation Treatment to Extend the Storage Life of Sliced White Button Mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus). Journal of Food Science, 79(1), E39-E46. Article first published online: 22 Nov. 2013. DOI: 10.1111/1750-3841.12308.
- Chimbombi*, Castell-Perez, M.E, Moreira, R.G., and A.F. Puerta-Gomez, 2013. M. Assessing accumulation (growth and internal mobility) of Salmonella Typhimurium LT2 in fresh-cut cantaloupe (Cucumis melo L.) for optimization of decontamination strategies. Food Control 32, 574-581. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2013.01.042
- Sipahi*, R.E.. Castell-Perez, M.E., Moreira, R.G., Gomes, C. and Castillo, A. 2013. Improved multilayered antimicrobial alginate-based edible coating extends the shelf life of fresh-cut watermelon (Citrullus lanatus) LWT - Food Science and Technology 51(1), 9-15 http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2012.11.013