- Postdoc 1992 - 1994, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- Ph.D. 1992, Materials Science & Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- M.S. 1987, Materials Science & Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- B.S. 1983, Materials Science & Engineering, Beijing University of Iron and Steel Technology
Surface properties-behavior relations, (nano)tribology, tribochemistry, bio-nanointerface, biomaterials,nanomanufacturing, and CMP
- 2004 – Present Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 2005 – 2008 Associate Professor, The Leland T. Jordan Career Development Professor
- 2004 – 2005 Visiting Scholar, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 1998 – 2004 Associate/Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of Alaska Fairbanks
- 2001 – 2003 Invited Visiting Professor, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France
- 1999 – 2000 Guest Professor, Argonne National Laboratory
- 1996 – 1998 Senior Scientist, Cabot Corporation
- 1994 – 1996 Senior Process Engineer, Union Carbide Inc.
- 1992 – 1994 Postdoctoral Associate, National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 1987 – 1992 Graduate Assistant, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1989 Visiting Researcher, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Switzerland
- 1983 – 1985 Research Engineer, Beijing Metallurgy Institute, PRC.
- S. Joo and H. Liang, "SIMS," Encyclopedia of Tribology, Ed. YW Chuang and Q. Wang, Springer, 2012.
- H. Liang, "Chemical-Mechanical Polishing," Ed. Q. Wang and YW Chang, Springer, 2012.
- H. Liang and R. Cooper, "Tribological Aspects of Insects' Skin," Ed. YW Chuang and Q. Wang, Springer, 2012.
- L. Peng, H. Zhang, P. Hemmer, and H. Liang, "Laser-Assisted Scanning Probe Alloying Nanolithography (LASPAN)," Scanning Probe Microscopy in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Vol. III, Edited by B. Bhushan, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2012. In press.
- Y. Zhou, A. Rocha, C. Sanchez, and H. Liang, "Assessment of Toxicity of Nanoparticles using Insects as Biological Models," Nanoparticles in Biology and Medicine. Methods and Applications, Edi.M. Soloviev, Humana Press. Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, 233 Spring St., New York, NY 10013. In press.
- M. Kulkarni, F. Gao, and H. Liang, "Chapter 18, Chemical Mechaical Polishing," Tribocorrosion of Passive Metals and Coatings, ed. D. Landolt and S. Mischler, Woodhead Publishing, 2011.
- L. Peng, H. Lee, and H. Liang, Scanning Probe Alloying Nanolithography, App. Scanning Probe Methods, Vol. 14, Edi. B. Bhushan, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 2010.