- B.S. degrees, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Bogazici University, Turkey, 2001.
- Ph.D. degree, Chemical Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara, 2007.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of California Santa Barbara, 2007.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Princeton University, 2007-2009.
- 2010–Present Assistant Professor, Material Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- 2009–Present Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- 2008 Visiting Scientist, Crystallization and Precipitation Division, BASF Chemical Company, Ludwigshafen, Germany.
The Akbulut Lab is involved in research in various areas of nanotechnology, surface and interface science, with a special focus on the areas of drug delivery, biomedical interfaces, tribology, surface and intermolecular forces, colloidal stabilization, and crystallization.
- M. Akbulut, S. M D'Addio, M. E Gindy, R. K Prud'homme, "Novel methods of targeted drug delivery: the potential of multifunctional nanoparticles", Expert Review of Clinical Pharmacology, 2009; 2(3); 265-282
- M. Akbulut, P. Ginart, M. Gindy, C. Theriault, K. Chin, R. K. Prud'homme, "Generic method of preparing multifunctional fluorescent nanoparticles using Flash NanoPrecipitation" , Adv. Func. Mater., 2009, 19 (5), Pages 718 - 725(Featured on "Advances in Advance" page at www.afm-journal.de)
- M. Akbulut, B. Bechtloff, S. Koltzenburg, R.K. Prud'homme, "Flow-Induced Conformational Changes in Gelatin Structure and Colloidal Stabilization", Langmuir, 2008; 24(17); 9636-9641
- Y. Min, M. Akbulut, R. K. Prud'homme, Y. Golan, J. Israelachvili, "Frictional Properties of Surfactant-Coated Rod-Shaped Nanoparticles in Dry and Humid Dodecane", Journal of Physical Chemistry , 2008, 112 (46), 14395-14401
- Y. Min, M. Akbulut, K. Kristiansen, Y. Golan, J. Israelachvili, "Role of interparticle and external forces on the assembly and properties of nanoparticle materials" , Nature Materials, 2008, 7, 527 - 538
- Y. Min, M. Akbulut, N. Belman, Y. Golan, J. Zasadzinski, J. Israelachvili, "Normal and Shear Forces Generated during the Ordering (Directed Assembly) of Confined Straight and Curved Nanowires", Nanoletters, 2008, 8 (1), 246 -252
- M. Akbulut, A.R.G. Alig, Y. Min, et al., "Forces between surfaces across nanoparticle solutions: Role of size, shape, and concentration" , Langmuir, 2007 23 (7): 3961-3969.
- M. Akbulut, A.R.G. Alig, J. Israelachvili , "Triboelectrification between smooth metal surfaces with self-assembled monolayers (SAMs)", Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 2006, 110(44), 22271 - 22278.
- M. Akbulut, N. Belman, Y. Golan, J. Israelachvili , "Frictional properties of confined nanorods", Advance Materials, 2006, 18(19), 2589-2592
- A.R.G. Alig, M. Akbulut, Y. Golan, J. Israelachvili , "Forces between surfactant-coated ZnS nanoparticles in dodecane: Effect of water", Advanced Functional Materials, 2006, 16(16), 2127-2134
- M. Akbulut, A.R.G. Alig, J. Israelachvili , "Friction and tribochemical reactions occurring at shearing interfaces between nano-thin silver films and various substrates"", Journal of Chemical Physics, 2006, 124; 174703
- J. Israelachvili, N. Maeda, K.J. Rosenberg, M. Akbulut, "Effects of sub-Ã¥ngstrom (pico-scale) structure of surfaces on adhesion, friction and bulk mechanical properties,Journal of Material Research, 2005, 20; 1952-1972
- M. Akbulut, N. Chen, N. Maeda, J. Israelachvili, T. Grunevald, C. Helm,"Crystallization in thin films induced by shear",Journal of Physical Chemistry B , 2005, 109(25); 12509-12514