- Ph.D. 1999, Physics, Princeton University
- M.S. 1993, Institute of High Energy Physics, Particle Physics, Beijing, China
- B.S. 1990, University of Science & Technology of China, Modern Physics, Hefei, China
Dr. Cheng studies complex fluids. His research focuses on the self-organization of intelligent colloids and anisotropic particles, the fabrication of photonic crystals and integrated photonic circuits, and the application of microfluidics to bio-encapsulation. The techniques developed will be applicable to the modeling of phase transitions and liquid crystal materials, the engineering of nano-composites and semiconductor of light, and a wide range of therapeutic treatments.
- 2010 - Present
- Associate Professor, Texas A&M University
- 2005 - Present
- Materials Science and Engineering
- 2004 - Present
- The Professional Program in Biotechnology
- 2004 - 2010
- Assistant Professor, Chemical Engineering
- 2002 - 2004
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Harvard University
- 2001 - 2002
- Engineer, DiCon Fiberoptics
- 2000 - 2001
- Postdoctoral Fellow, ExxonMobil Research & Engineering
- 1999 - 2000
- Postdoctoral Fellow , Princeton Materials Institute
- "Low-frequency ac electro-flow-focusing microfluidic emulsification", P. He*, H. Kim*, D. Luo#, M. Marquez, Z. Cheng, Applied Physics Letters 96: 174103 (2010).
- "Surface-controlled shape design of discotic micro-particles", A. F. Mejia*, P. He*, M. Netemeyer*, D. Luo#, M. Marquez, and Z. Cheng, Soft Matter, 6: 4885-4894 (2010).
- "Photoelectrochemical hydrogen production from water/methanol decomposition using Ag/TiO2 nanocomposite thin films" N. Alenzi*, W. Liao*, P. S. Cremer, V. Sanchez-Torres, T. K. Wood, C. Ehlig-Economides, and Z. Cheng, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 35:11768-11775 (2010).
- "Target to spiral wave pattern transition in a discrete Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction driven by inactive resin beads", G. Wang*, Q. Wang*, P. He*, S. Pullela*, M. Marquez, and Z. Cheng, Physical Review E, 82: 045201(R) (2010). Exciting research news picked by President R. Bowen Loftin.
- "Signature of structure recovery in colloidal glasses" X. Di, K. Z. Win, G. B. Mc Kenna, T. Narita, F. Lequeux, S. Rao Pullela*, and Z. Cheng, Phys. Rev. Lett. 106, 2011, 095701.
- Q. Wang, G. Wang, Z. Cheng, "Oscillatory swelling behavior of hydrogel incorporated with ion-exchange nanoparticles" Drug Delivery Letters,1, 2011, 58
- Hindrance Function for Sedimentation of Colloidal Disks, Peng He, Andres F. Mejia, Dazhi Sun, Hung-Jue Sue, Dean S. Dinair, Z. Cheng, Physical Review E, (81), 026310
- Flammability of Heat Transfer Fluid Aerosols Produced by Electrospray Measured by Laser Diffraction Analysis, Peng Lian, Andres F. Mejia, Zhengdong Cheng, M. Sam Mannan, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, (23), 337-345