- Ph. D. 1996, Chemical Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin
- M.S.E., Chemical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania
- B.S., Chemical Engineering, Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, Argentina
Reactions on nanoclusters and surfaces: applications to catalysis, electrochemistry, and corrosion; prediction of thermodynamic and transport properties; first-principles materials design.
- 2006 – Present Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 2004 – Present Professor of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 2002 – 2004 Associate Professor, University of South Carolina
- 1997 – 2002 Assistant Professor, University of South Carolina
- 1992 – 1996 Research Associate, University of Texas at Austin
- 1978 – 1994 Research Professor, Univ. Nacional del Litoral, Santa Fe, Argentina
- 1990 – 1992 Visiting Scientist, Cornell University, School of Chemical Engineering
- 1974 – 1978 CONICET Graduate Fellow, INTEC, Santa Fe, Argentina
- P. B. Balbuena and V. R. Subramanian, Eds., Theory and Experiment in Electrocatalysis, Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, Vol. 50, Springer Science, NY, 2010.
- Mario Wriedt, Julian Sculley, Andrey Yakovenko, Yuguang Ma, Perla B. Balbuena and Hong-Cai Zhou, "Low-energy selective capture of CO2 by predesigned elastic, single molecule receptor," submitted to Nature, December 2011.
- Diego A. Gomez-Gualdron, Gilbert D. McKenzie, Juam F. J. Alvarado, and Perla B. Balbuena, "Dynamic Evolution of Supported Metal Nanocatalyst/Carbon Structure during Single-Walled Carbon Nanotube Growth," ACS Nano, in press.
- Rafael Callejas-Tovar, Wenta Liao, Hilda Mera, and Perla B. Balbuena, "Molecular dynamics simulations of surface oxidation on Pt and Pt/PtCo/Pt3Co nanoparticles supported over carbon," J. Phys. Chem. C, 115, 23768-23777, (2011).
- Gustavo E. Ramirez-Caballero, Ashish Mathkari, and Perla B. Balbuena, "Confinement-induced polymerization of ethylene," J. Phys. Chem C., in press.
- Jiamei Yu, Perla B. Balbuena, Joanne Budzien, and Kevin Leung, "Hybrid DFT functional-based static and molecular dynamics studies of excess electron in liquid ethylene carbonate," J. Electrochem. Soc.,in press.
- Carlos Guadarrama-Perez, Julibeth Martinez de la Hoz, and Perla B. Balbuena, " Correction to: Theoretical Infrared and Terahertz Spectra of an RDX/Aluminum Complex," J. Phys. Chem. A.,114, 7815-7815, (2010).
- Julibeth M. Martinez de la Hoz, Diego F. Leon-Quintero, Pussana Hirunsit, and Perla B. Balbuena, "Evolution of a Pt(111) surface at high oxygen coverage in acid medium," Chem. Phys. Lett., 498, 328-333, (2010).
- A. Javier, D. Li, P. B. Balbuena, and M. Soriaga, "Density functional study of benzoquinone sulfonate adsorbed on a Pd(111) surface," Electrocatalysis, 1, 159-162, (2010).
- G. E. Ramirez-Caballero, P. Hirunsit, and P. B. Balbuena, "Shell-anchor-core structures for enhanced stability and catalytic oxygen reduction activity," J. Chem. Phys.,133, 134705 (2010).
- J. A. Ritter, H. Pan, and P. B. Balbuena, "Adsorption of binary gas mixtures in heterogenous carbon predicted by density functional theory: On the formation of adsorption azeotropes," Langmuir, 26, 13968-13975, (2010).
- Pussana Hirunsit and Perla B. Balbuena, "Stability of Pt monolayers on Ir-Co cores with and without a Pd interlayer," J. Phys. Chem. C, 114, 13055-13060, (2010).
- Gustavo Ramirez-Caballero and Perla B. Balbuena, "Confinement effects on alloy reactivity," Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 12, 12466-12471, (2010).
- Gustavo Ramirez-Caballero and Perla B. Balbuena, "Dissolution-resistant core-shell materials for acid medium oxygen reduction electrocatalysts," J. Phys. Chem. Letters, 1, 724-728, (2010).
- Kuanping Gong, Wei-Fu Chen, Kotaro Sasaki, Dong Su, Miomir B. Vukmirovic, Weiping Zhu, Elise L. Izzo, Carmen Perez-Acosta, Pussana Hirunsit, Perla B. Balbuena, and Radoslav R. Adzic, "Platinum monolayer electrocatalysts: Improving the activity for the oxygen reduction reaction with palladium interlayer on IrCo alloy core,"J. Electronal. Chem.649, 232-237, (2010).
- L. G. Scanlon, L. R. Lucente, M. F. Lawson, J. W. Lawson, J. P. Fellner, W. A. Feld, and P. B. Balbuena, N. Munichandraiah and H. Xiao, "Low energy of activation lithium-ion conducting channel,"ECS Transactions, 25, 163-167, (2010) .
- Juan C. Burgos, Humberto Reyna, Boris I. Yakobson and Perla B. Balbuena, "Interplay of Catalyst Size and Metal-Carbon Interactions on the Growth of Single-Wall Carbon Nanotubes,"J. Phys. Chem. C,114, 6952-6958, (2010).
- Yuguang Ma and Perla B. Balbuena, "Surface adsorption and stabilization effect of Iridium in Pt-based alloy catalysts for PEM fuel cell cathodes," ECS Transactions, 25, 1, 1037-1044, (2009).
- Carlos Guadarrama-Perez, Julibeth Martinez de la Hoz, and Perla B. Balbuena, "Theoretical Infrared and Terahertz Spectra of an RDX/Aluminum Complex," J. Phys. Chem. A.,114, 2284-2292, (2010).
- Yuguang Ma and Perla B. Balbuena, "Role of Iridium in Pt-based Alloy Catalysts for the ORR: Surface Adsorption and Stabilization Studies," J. Electrochem. Soc., 157, B959-B963, (2010).
- Gustavo E. Ramirez-Caballero, Yuguang Ma, Rafael Callejas-Tovar, and Perla B. Balbuena, "Surface segregation and stability of core-shell alloy catalysts for oxygen reduction in acid medium," Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys.,12, 2209-2218, (2010).