- 1988 - Ph.D. in Materials Engineering Science, VPI & SU
- 1976 - M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University
- 1973 - B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University
- Prediction of damage initiation and growth in cryogenic composites and foams
- Multiscale computational mechanics from nano to macro
- Multifunctional materials
- Numerical simulation of electric double layer supercapacitor
- Mechanics of textile composites
- Mechanics of polymer film scratching
- Novel finite element analysis strategies
- 1989 – Present Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 1974 – 1989 Research Engineer, NASA Langley Research Center, Mechanics of Materials Branch
- Owens, B. C., Whitcomb, J., Varghese, J., "Effect of Finite Thickness and Free Edges on Stresses in Plain Weave Composites", Journal of Composite Materials, Mar 2010; vol. 44: pp. 675 - 692.
- K. Maxwell, J. Whitcomb, Z. Ounaies, and A. Barhoumi*, "Finite Element Analysis of a Three-Phase Piezoelectric Nanocomposite", Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Volume 21, No. 11, pp. 1073-1084, July 2010.
- Piezoelectric Nanocomposite". J. of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, Vol. 21, pp. 1073-1084, July 2010. Varghese, J., Owens, B., Whitcomb, J., "Simulation of Oxidation in Textile Composites". J. Composite Materials. Published online, January 2011.