- 2015–Present Associate Professor, Material Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- 2015–Present Associate Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- 2010–2015 Assistant Professor, Material Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University.
- 2009–2015 Assistant Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Texas A&M University.
2008 Visiting Scientist, Crystallization and Precipitation Division, BASF Chemical Company, Ludwigshafen, Germany.
2007 Ph.D. degree, Chemical Engineering, University of California Santa Barbara
2001 B.S. degree, Chemical Engineering and Chemistry, Bogazici University, Turkey
The Akbulut Lab is involved in research in various areas of nanotechnology, surface and interface science, with a special focus on the areas of drug delivery, biomedical interfaces, tribology, surface and intermolecular forces, colloidal stabilization, and crystallization.
|Coatings||Bacterial Antifouling Coatings||Antifriction and Antiwear Coatings||Corrosion Inhibition||Thermal Interface Materials|
|Complex Fluids||Rheology||Thermo-Responsive Viscosifier||pH-Responsive Gels||Nanoparticle-Based Lubrication Systems|
|Surface Science||Adhesion, Adsorption, Desorption||Bacterial Biofilms||Colloidal Stability and Aggregation||Particle-Surface Interactions|
|Nanoencapsulation Technologies||Nanoparticulate antibacterial agents||Nanopesticides||Multifunctional drug delivery systems|
|Hydrocarbon Recovery||Enhanced Oil Recovery||Hydraulic Fracturing Fluids||Emulsions|
- Perez-Lewis, K.L., Yegin, Y., Oh, J.K., Castillo, A., Cisneros-Zevallos, L., Kerth, C.R., Akbulut, M. and Taylor, T.M., 2022. Reduction of Bacterial Enteric Pathogens and Hygiene Indicator Bacteria on Tomato Skin Surfaces by a Polymeric Nanoparticle-Loaded Plant-Derived Antimicrobial. Microorganisms, 10(2), p.448. (Impact factor: 4.17)
- Hashemi, H., Hashemi, M., Talcott, S., Castillo, A., Taylor, T.M. and Akbulut, M., 2022. Nanoimbibition of Essential Oils in Triblock Copolymeric Micelles as Effective Nanosanitizers against Food Pathogens Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli O157: H7. ACS Food Science & Technology. (Impact factor: N/A)
- Pahari, S., Moon, J., Akbulut, M., Hwang, S. and Kwon, J.S.I., 2021. Estimation of Microstructural Properties of Wormlike Micelles Via a Multi-Scale Multi-Recommendation Batch Bayesian Optimization. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 60(43), pp.15669-15678. (Impact factor: 3.72)
- Bhat, B., Liu, S., Lin, Y.T., Sentmanat, M.L., Kwon, J. and Akbulut, M., 2021. Supramolecular dynamic binary complexes with pH and salt-responsive properties for use in unconventional reservoirs. PloS one, 16(12), p.e0260786. (Impact factor: 3.24)
- Liu, S., Bae, M., Hao, L., Oh, J.K., White, A.R., Min, Y., Cisneros-Zevallos, L. and Akbulut, M., 2021. Bacterial antifouling characteristics of helicene—Graphene films. Nanomaterials, 11(1), p.89. (Impact factor: 4.92)
- Liu, S., Ulugun, B., DeFlorio, W., Arcot, Y., Yegin, Y., Salazar, K.S., Castillo, A., Taylor, T.M., Cisneros-Zevallos, L. and Akbulut, M., 2021. Development of durable and superhydrophobic nanodiamond coating on aluminum surfaces for improved hygiene of food contact surfaces. Journal of Food Engineering, 298, p.110487. (Impact factor: 5.35)
- Liu, S., Lin, Y.T., Bhat, B., Kuan, K.Y., Kwon, J.S.I. and Akbulut, M., 2021. pH-responsive viscoelastic supramolecular viscosifiers based on dynamic complexation of zwitterionic octadecylamidopropyl betaine and triamine for hydraulic fracturing applications. RSC Advances, 11(37), pp.22517-22529. (Impact factor: 3.36)
- Pahari, S., Bhandakkar, P., Akbulut, M. and Kwon, J.S.I., 2021. Optimal pumping schedule with high-viscosity gel for uniform distribution of proppant in unconventional reservoirs. Energy, 216, p.119231. (Impact factor: 7.15)
- Yegin, Y., Perez-Lewis, K.L., Liu, S., Kerth, C.R., Cisneros-Zevallos, L., Castillo, A., Akbulut, M. and Taylor, T.M., 2021. Antimicrobial-Loaded Polymeric Micelles Inhibit Enteric Bacterial Pathogens on Spinach Leaf Surfaces During Multiple Simulated Pathogen Contamination Events. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 5, p.98. (Impact factor: 3.95)
- DeFlorio, W., Liu, S., White, A.R., Taylor, T.M., Cisneros‐Zevallos, L., Min, Y. and Scholar, E.M., 2021. Recent developments in antimicrobial and antifouling coatings to reduce or prevent contamination and cross‐contamination of food contact surfaces by bacteria. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety, 20(3), pp.3093-3134. (Impact factor: 12.81)
- Pahari, S., Moon, J., Akbulut, M., Hwang, S. and Kwon, J.S.I., 2021. Model predictive control for wormlike micelles (WLMs): Application to a system of CTAB and NaCl. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 174, pp.30-41. (Impact factor: 3.07)
- Pahari, S., Bhadriraju, B., Akbulut, M. and Kwon, J.S.I., 2021. A slip-spring framework to study relaxation dynamics of entangled wormlike micelles with kinetic Monte Carlo algorithm. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 600, pp.550-560. (Impact factor: 8.12)
- Pahari, S., Bhandakkar, P., Akbulut, M. and Kwon, J.S.I., Optimal pumping schedule with high-viscosity gel for uniform distribution of proppant in unconventional reservoirs. Energy, 2020; p. 119231. (Impact factor: 7.15)
- *El Jirie, N. Baticados, Sergio C. Capareda, Shuhao Liu, and Mustafa Akbulut. "Advanced Solar Still Development: Improving Distilled Water Recovery and Purity via Graphene-Enhanced Surface Modifiers." Frontiers in Environmental Science; 2020. (Impact factor: 4.24)
- *Zhao, L., Shen, Y., Sun, Y., Mannan, M.S. and Akbulut, M., Thermal hazards analysis of styrene in contact with impurities. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries; 68, 2020, p.104315 (Impact factor: 4.02)
- Hao, L., Gong, L., Chen, L., Guan, M., Zhou, H., Qiu, S., Wen, H., Chen, H., Zhou, X. and Akbulut, M., Composite pesticide nanocarriers involving functionalized boron nitride nanoplatelets for pH-responsive release and enhanced UV stability; Chemical Engineering Journal; 2020, p.125233. (Impact factor: 13.27)
- *Shuhao Liu, Jeremy Zheng, Li Hao, Yagmur Yegin, Michael Bae, Beril Ulugun, Thomas Taylor, Ethan Scholar, Luis Cisneros-Zevallos, Jun Kyun Oh, Mustafa Akbulut; “Dual Functional, Superhydrophobic Coatings with Bacterial Anticontact and Antimicrobial Characteristics”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces; 2020. (Impact factor: 9.23)
- *Ruengvisesh, S., Oh, J.K., Kerth, C.R., Akbulut, M. and Matthew Taylor, T., Inhibition of bacterial human pathogens on tomato skin surfaces using eugenol‐loaded surfactant micelles during refrigerated and abuse storage. Journal of Food Safety; 2019, 39(2), p.e12598. (Impact factor: 1.67)
- *Yegin, Y., Oh, J.K., Akbulut, M. and Taylor, T., “Cetylpyridinium chloride produces increased zeta-potential on Salmonella Typhimurium cells, a mechanism of the pathogen’s inactivation” NPJ Science
- Oh, Jun Kyun, Spencer T. Behmer, Richelle Marquess, Ethan A. Scholar, and Mustafa Akbulut. "Investigation of mechanical properties of tibia and femur articulations of insect joints with different joint functions." MRS Communications 9 (3), 2019; 900-903. (Impact factor: 2.57)
- *Lin Zhao, Wen Zhu, Maria. I. Papadaki, Sam Mannan, Mustafa Akbulut. "Probing into Styrene Polymerization Runaway Hazards: Effects of the Monomer Mass Fraction." ACS omega, 4(5), 2019, 8136-8145. (Impact factor: 3.51)
- *Oh, Jun Kyun, Shuhao Liu, Matthew Jones, Yagmur Yegin, Li Hao, Tamra N. Tolen, Nirup Nagabandi et al. "Modification of aluminum surfaces with superhydrophobic nanotextures for enhanced food safety and hygiene." Food Control 96 (2019): 463-469. (Impact factor: 5.48)
- *Hao, Li, Cengiz Yegin, Jyothsna Varsha Talari, Jun Kyun Oh, Ming Zhang, Mufrettin Murat Sari, Luhong Zhang, Younjin Min, Mustafa Akbulut, and Bin Jiang. "Thermo-responsive gels based on supramolecular assembly of an amidoamine and citric acid." Soft matter 14, no. 3 (2018): 432-439 (Impact factor: 3.68)