My groups' research projects are centered on the interface of biomaterials and therapeutics at the nano-micro or macro-scale to prevent, manage or treat diseases using drugs or drug-like compounds or their combinations. The idea is to apply innovative delivery strategies to the existing small or large molecules for improving the risk vs benefit ratio; realize new indications or apply the innovative delivery technologies early on in the drug discovery program to minimize the attrition rates.
- PhD, Drug Delivery, 2000
- Devi Ahilya Viswha Vidyalaya, India, Master of Science, Applied Chemistry, 1996
- Nagarjuna University, India, Bachelor of Science, Physical Sciences, 1992
- Next-generation noncompetitive nanosystems based on gambogic acid: In silico identification of transferrin receptor binding sites, regulatory shelf stability, and their preliminary safety in healthy rodents. Arora M, Ganugula R, Kumar N, Kaur G, Pellois, JP, Garg P, Kumar MNVR. ACS Applied Bio Materials, 2019, 2(8) 3540-3550. doi.org/10.1021/acsabm.9b00419 (Cover Article)
- Double-headed nanosystems for oral drug delivery. Kaur G, Arora M, Ganugula R, Kumar MNVR. Chem Comm. 2019 55(33) 4761-4764. doi: 10.1039/c8cc10021g (Cover Article, back cover)
- Polyester nanoparticle encapsulation mitigates paclitaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy. Ganugula R, Deng M, Arora M, Pan HL, Kumar MNVR. ACS Chem Neurosci. 2019, 10 (3), pp 1801 –1812 doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00703 (Cover Article)
- Estrogen improves insulin sensitivity and suppresses gluconeogenesis via the transcription factor Foxo1. Yan H, Yang W, Zhou F, Li X, Pan Q, Shen Z, Han G, Newell-Fugate A, Tian Y, Kumar MNVR, Liu W, Xu Y, Wu C, Allred K, Allred C, Sun Y, Guo S. Diabetes. 2019 Feb;68(2):291-304. doi: 10.2337/db18-0638. Epub 2018 Nov 28.
- Urolithin A mitigates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by inhibiting renal inflammation and apoptosis in an experimental rat model. Guada M, Ganugula R, Vadhanam M, Kumar MNVR. JPharmacol Exp Ther. 2017 Oct;363(1):58-65. doi: 10.1124/jpet.117.242420. Epub 2017 Aug 7. PMID: 28784820 (Cover Article)
- Ex Vivo rat eye model for investigating transport of next generation precision-polyester nanosystems. Ganugula R, Arora M, Kumar MNVR. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2017 Aug 9;9 (31):25668-25671. doi: 10.1021/acsami.7b07896. Epub 2017 Jul 26. PMID: 28737886
- Nano-curcumin safely prevents streptozotocin-induced inflammation and apoptosis in pancreatic beta cells for effective management of Type 1 diabetes mellitus. Ganugula R, Arora M, Jaisamut P, Wiwattanapatapee R, Jørgensen HG, Venkatpurwar VP, Zhou B, Rodrigues Hoffmann A, Basu R, Guo S, Kumar MNVR. Br J Pharmacol. 2017 Jul;174(13):2074-2084. doi: 10.1111/bph.13816. Epub 2017 May 30. PMID: 28409821.
- Next generation precision-polyesters enabling optimization of ligand-receptor stoichiometry for modular drug delivery. Ganugula R, Arora M, Saini P, Guada M, Kumar MNVR. J Am Chem Soc. 2017 May 31;139(21):7203-7216. doi: 10.1021/jacs.6b13231. Epub 2017 Apr 19. PMID: 28395139 (Cover Article)
- Noncompetitive active transport exploiting intestinal transferrin receptors for oral delivery of proteins by tunable nanoplatform. Ganugula R, Arora M, Guada M, Saini P, Kumar MNVR. ACS Macro Lett. 6 (2), 161-164. DOI: 10.1021/acsmacrolett.7b00035. (Cover Article)
- The next generation non-competitive active polyester nanosystems for transferrin receptormediated peroral transport utilizing gambogic acid as a ligand. Saini P, Ganugula R, Arora M, Kumar MNVR.Sci Rep. 2016 Jul 8;6:29501. doi: 10.1038/srep29501.