- Ph.D. 1989, Polymer Chemistry, Moscow State University, Russia
- B.S. 1984, Polymer Science with an award for excellence, Moscow State University, Russia
Stimuli-responsive all-polymer and polymer nanocomposite assemblies for sensing, separation and biomedical applications. Structure and dynamics of polyelectrolyte assemblies Materials with controllable optical, swelling and drug-release responses. Remote manipulation of material shape Smart antibacterial materials Surface modification for controlling wettability, adhesion and adsorption.
- 2015 – Present Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Texas A&M University
- 2008 – 2015 Professor, Department of Chemistry, Biological and Biomedical Engineering, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 2008 – 2008 Visiting Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, MIT
- 2004-2008 Associate Professor with tenure, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 2000-2004 Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Stevens Institute of Technology
- 1997-2000 Research Associate, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
- 1996-1997 Visiting Scholar, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
- 1993-1996 Assistant Professor of Polymer Science, Moscow State University, Russia
- 1999-1993 Research Fellow, Department of Polymer Science, Moscow State University, Russia
- 1998-1989 Graduate Teaching Assistant, Department of Polymer Science, Moscow State University, Russia
- 1. S. Granick and S. A. Sukhishvili, Polymer Films, US 6,740,409 B1, issued May 25, 2004.
- 2. S. Granick and S. A. Sukhishvili, Polymer Films, US 7,470,449 B2, issued Dec 30, 2008.
- Selin, J. F. Ankner and S. A. Sukhishvili “Ionically Paired Layer-by-Layer Hydrogels: Water and Polyelectrolyte Uptake Controlled by Deposition Time”, Gels2018, 4(1), 7.
- Hlushko, H. Hlushko and S. Sukhishvili “A Family of Linear Phenolic Polymers with Controlled Hydrophobicity, Adsorption and Antioxidant Properties”, Polym. Chem. 2018, 9, 506-516.
- Palanisamy, V. Albright, and S. A. Sukhishvili ”Upper Critical Solution Temperature Layer-by-Layer Films of Polyamino acid-Based Micelles with Rapid, On-Demand Release Capability”, Chem. Mater. 2017, 29, 9084–9094.
- Selin, J. F. Ankner and S. A. Sukhishvili “Nonlinear Layer-by-Layer Films: Effects of Chain Diffusivity on Film Structure and Swelling”, Macromolecules 2017, 50, 6192–6201.
- Albright, I. Zhuk; Y. Wang, V. Selin; B. van de Belt-Gritter; H. J. Busscher, H. C. van der Mei and S. A. Sukhishvili “Self-defensive Antibiotic-loaded Layer-by-layer Coatings: Imaging of Localized Bacterial Acidification and pH-Triggering of Antibiotic Release”, Acta Biomaterialia 2017, 61, 66-74.
- Wang and S. A. Sukhishvili “All-Aqueous Nanoprecipitation: Spontaneous Formation of Hydrogen-Bonded Nanoparticles and Nanocapsules Mediated by Phase Separation of Poly(N-isopropylacrylamide)”, Macromol. Rapid Comm. 2017, 36, 1700242.
- Wang, J. He, S. Aktas, S. A. Sukhishvili and D. M. Kalyon “Rheological behavior and self-healing of hydrogen-bonded complexes of a triblock Pluronic® copolymer with a weak polyacid”, J. Rheology 2017, 61, 1103-1119.
- Karimineghlani, E. Emmons, M. J. Green, P. Shamberger and S. Sukhishvili “A Temperature-Responsive Poly (vinyl alcohol) Gel for Controlling Fluidity of an Inorganic Phase Change Material”, J. Mater. Chem. A 2017, 5, 12474 – 12482.
- Yang, S. Sukhishvili, H. Du and F. Tian "Marine Salinity Sensing Using Long-Period Fiber Gratings Enabled by Stimuli-Responsive Polyelectrolyte Multilayers", Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 2017, 253, 745 – 751.
- Wang and S. A. Sukhishvili “Hydrogen-bonded polymer complexes and nanocages of weak polyacids templated by a Pluronic block copolymer”, Soft Matter 2016, 12, 8744 – 8754.
- Wang, T. Chou and S. A. Sukhishvili “Spontaneous, One-Pot Assembly of pH-Responsive Hydrogen-Bonded Polymer Capsules”, ACS Macro Letters 2016, 5, 35–39.
- Chen, A. Pal, J. Gao, Y. Han, S. Sukhishvili, H. Du and S.G. Podkolzin “Identification of Vertical and Horizontal Configurations for BPE Adsorption on Silver Surfaces,” J. Phys. Chem. C 2015, 119 , 24475–24488.
- Hizal, I. Zhuk, S. Sukhishvili, H. J. Busscher, H. C. van der Mei, C.-H. Choi “Impact of 3D Hierarchical Nanostructures on the Antibacterial Efficacy of a Bacteria-Triggered Self-Defensive Antibiotic Coating”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2015, 7, 20304–20313.
- Selin, J.F. Ankner and S.A. Sukhishvili “Diffusional Response of Layer-by-Layer Assembled Polyelectrolyte Chains to Salt Annealing”, Macromolecules 2015, 48, 3983–3990.
- Zhuk, V. Selin, I. Zhuk, B. Belov, J.F. Ankner and S.A. Sukhishvili “Chain Conformation and Dynamics in Spin-Assisted Weak Polyelectrolyte Multilayers,” Langmuir 2015, 31, 3889–3896.
- Lu, Y. Wu, J. Liang, M. R. Libera “Self-defensive antibacterial layer-by-layer hydrogel coatings with pH-triggered hydrophobicity,” Biomaterials 2015, 45, 64-71.
- Zhuk, F. Jariwala, A.B. Attygalle, Y. Wu, M. Libera and S.A. Sukhishvili “Self-Defensive Layer-by-Layer Films with Bacteria-Triggered Antibiotic Release,” ACS Nano 2014, 8, 7733–7745 (featured in the “Editor’s Choice” section of Science magazine, “Layers of ways to control drug release”, Volume 345, Number 6201, Issue of 5 September 2014, p. 1133).
- Pavlukhina, I. Zhuk, A. Mentbayeva, E. Rautenberg, W. Chang, X. Yu, H.J. Busscher, H.C. van der Mei and S.A. Sukhishvili “Small-Molecule-Hosting Nanocomposite Films with Multiple Bacteria-Triggered Responses”, Nature Publishing Group Asia Materials 2014, 6, e121; doi:10.1038/am.2014.63.
- Lu, M. Sarshar, K. Du, T. Chou, Ch.-H. Choi, S.A. Sukhishvili "Large-Amplitude, Reversible, pH-Triggered Wetting Transitions Enabled by Layer-by-Layer Films", ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2013, 5, 12617–12623.